Wednesday, May 19, 2010

But It's An Error Page!

In truth, I cannot deny that Flash has a place on the internet as a web technology. Lots of cool and useful things can be done with Flash. What bothers me most is (1) it's often abused (think ads), and (2) it's everywhere, even where it doesn't need to be. Take this screen cap that I saved a few minutes ago.




It's an error page.  The web server is telling me that something is wrong.  WHY THE <expletive> DOES IT NEED FLASH?!?  Granted, I didn't thoroughly scour the web page's source to see if it's trying to serve an ad, but regardless of the content trying to be served via Flash it doesn't belong on an error page.  In fact, ads don't belong on an error page, either.  It's an error page for crying out loud!  Don't complicate it!

While I'm griping, I might as well gripe about myself, too.  It seems far too often these days I'm finding something about which to gripe.  There are so many things that I could let get on my nerves, and I've unfortunately fallen victim to focusing on those things instead of more encouraging or enlightening things.  It's my own fault and I take full responsibility for this.  What do you do to combat negative thinking and remind yourself about the good things in life?

1 comment:

Brandon said...

I agree, except for all the parts about flash not being evil. between jQuery and html5/CSS3 flash isn't really needed on the internet. Its too bloated and offers too many vulnerabilities.